Students Compete in UIL Academic Event

MiKaiya Peters, News and Feature Editor

Students had the opportunity to compete against other Texas high school students in UIL academic competitions to showcase their abilities.
On Saturday March 25th, students competed at Conroe High for UIL academics, where Sophomore Riddhi Ankolekar was the only Oak Ridge student to advance to regionals and Senior Nolan Christensen placed sixth.
“The competition was pretty fun, actually. I competed in the News Writing Category, and because my sponsor, Ms. Butler, prepared me so well it was a breeze. I actually ended up placing sixth, which is awesome because I wasn’t expecting anything,” Christensen said.
All students have the ability to showcase their academic strengths, as there are events for nearly every genre of interest, so Assistant Principal Lisa Martin encourages everyone to compete.
“Participating in UIL looks great on your resume; colleges like to see this. It’s also good for you to represent your school in something that you are good at,” Martin said.
For some students, the opportunity to take tests as a form of competition may not seem that appealing at first, but for many, the chance to highlight the academic valor of ORHS is too great to pass up.
“We really participate in UIL because it makes Oak Ridge look great and it’s basically a showcase of who has the best academics in the state,” Journalism Sponsor Amanda Butler said.
Oak Ridge usually shines in events like Journalism and Speech and Debate, sending students to regionals on an annual basis.
“I’ve had two state winners and several students go to regionals,” Butler said.
Martin has and did have high expectations for the competitors this past weekend, as their actions exemplified the success of Oak Ridge’s academic programs.
“I expect students to spend time studying the material and working with their coach during Eagles Nest. I expect them to show up for their district meet and do their best,” Martin said.
Whether they just competed this past weekend, or plan to compete next year, Martin offers great advice to students who are considering getting involved in the UIL academic competition.
“I would advise students to get involved early in their high school career. The more meets you attend, the more you will know what to expect and will become more competitive,” Martin said.